Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: where did my money go?!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had money and I went shopping... now I have Beaulieu 2008S, Beaulieu 4008S and canon814xl-s. And by the end of the week I think I will also have the Beaulieu 4008ZMII. After that I don't think I have any money for the film! *laughs*

    Does anyone have any experience on "super8cameramadness"? You just want to buy all the cameras that you see and in the same time you know that you have no use for them... (that's not the whole truth in my situation but close)

    And any comments on Canon... It seems to be a good and reliable working horse... and I think it's quiet enough for me if I'm able to built some kind of barney for it... And with vision200 I should be able to film in quite dark also..?

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 22, 2004 05:59 PM: Message edited by: bigmasi ]</font>

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jari, and you don't go for the cheap cameras either! (grin) I'm jealous of your acquisitions. Have fun running film through your "new" cameras -- once your finances recover a bit to allow for buying film and processing.

    It has been months since I shot anything myself, and I don't have much S8 stock left in my stash. Time to go shopping...

  3. #3
    Inactive Member lastquark's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did have experience. What you don't have in your portfolio is the Beaulieu 6008/7008S or Pro with the 6-80mm or 6-90mm glass. Yummy. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    You need to add Leicina Special too with Cinegon to get the sharpest super 8 film available.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wait until you get the 16mm bug...ouch!!

    I'm developing a 35mm cold myself, but too poor to get infected.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well, it seems like some other people have been stinged by the same bug so I'm gonna tell you my story... it would be nice to hear other stories also. I've been photographing about 15 years and working in tv for the last 4 years. I've always been very interested in cinema and film. I had my fathers old camera (Movexoom) and I filmed something and made also some animation experiments. (I have some experience on digital animation) Well, every time I shoot something I wasn't pleased to the result because my camera needs a lot of light and almost everything was underexposed. Now I'm in south-america writing a documentary on the political situation of Argentina and I'm going to use the super 8 on a documentary witch I have to sometimes film in poor light conditions. I also wanted a camera that have changeable lenses because I've been working with good videocameras and I love good lenses that give you ability to do just what you like. I did some researching and found out that Beaulieus are the only cameras that have changeable lenses (I think that's not the whole truth but close enought) so I had to get me one. I went to see some old camera shops and bought 2 Beaulieus. They are not in mint condition. Not even close, but I fell in love with the design and the feeling of them. I had to get them even if they were not exatly what I was looking for. I wanted a 4008ZM-2 but I bought 2008S and 4008S. Ok, so I have to build a battery pack (haven't finished that yet) ...no problem.

    But I'm also taking allready some shots on the demonstrations and stuff for the documentary... so I need a working camera! I went shopping again. I had allready forgotten that I could use my old movexoom also. I didn't HAVE to get a new camera. But I did. I saw on a fleamarket this Canon 814XL-S. The price was 150 dollars. I didn't buy it and went back in 2 weeks and it was still there and there price was 130 USD. I ended up paying 100 dollars for it and I was happy owner of this good camera. But when I got home I realized that it's not so quiet that I thought. I tryed to listen to it at the fleamarket but... you know! Should I still keep looking for Nizo? I allready have 4 cameras! Well, yesterday I went to another shop asking for accessories on these cameras and I also asked: (maybe a mistake) "Do you have any cameras here?" The girl in the shop said that they have a Beaulieu 4008ZM-2 but it's not in the shop right now. Come back in few days. The price is 150 dollars. God damned!!! They have the camera I wanted originally and now I have allready bought 3 cameras, shit! I thought about it and desided that if the camera is in good condition ...I'm gonna have my 3rd Beaulieu by the end of the week.

    So, If I buy the 4008ZM I'm gonna have 5 cameras. What should I do with all of them? I came up with an idea that when I get back to Finland I'm gonna start looking for some people that are interested in low/nobudget filmmaking. I have the equipment for a lot of things. Recording sound, (If I'm able to build the barney for the canon) Making lots of different slow motions or timelapses. I can shoot every asa and so on and I have lots of contacs for "freeofcharge-friendworksthere" editing systems etc... So what I need is a crew and actores and a scripts. I ended up having an idea of a "filmclub" that would produce one film every month and the format would be super8. I can practise directing, photographing and writing and it would be a fun hobby. We could probaply finance the films with only one party/month where we would sell beer (illegally). So, I'm really looking forward on starting working with this idea. And if any of the films end up in festivals, it would be great to go see it with the whole crew and drink beer all night after... And I also want to learn to work with film so I could some day maybe move to 16mm and them 35mm...

    Any comments?

    ?Chau!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bigmasi:

    Does anyone have any experience on "super8cameramadness"? You just want to buy all the cameras that you see and in the same time you know that you have no use for them... (that's not the whole truth in my situation but close)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh boy, been there big time [img]redface.gif[/img]

    I cringe when I look back at what i use to own. It's a little embarrassing to be honost. The cure is that when you start shooting more you start selling the cameras off to pay for more film. I actually use Regular 8mm nowadays and have recently been infected by the 16mm bug. I still hold onto one Super 8 camera exclusively for timelapse.

    BTW the Canon 814 XL-S is an awesome camera. It can be a little loud but it is so durable. Plus the built in lightmeter, if working properly, is simply the best ever put in a Super 8 camera.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by cameraguy:

    BTW the Canon 814 XL-S is an awesome camera. It can be a little loud but it is so durable. Plus the built in lightmeter, if working properly, is simply the best ever put in a Super 8 camera.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nice to hear. It seems like I been doing good deales and that gives me comfort

  8. #8
    Inactive Member gomez270's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2004
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey i can tell you for sure that youre not alone in your uncontrollable super 8 itch. [im partial to the finds in second hand stores and junk sales because theyre usually super cheap and have often had old film in them!!]. in the last month i have purged every local used store and now i have ten more super 8 cameras sitting on a shelf. some of them dont even work but at least they look awesome, right? oh yeah in one of the shops they had installed a fake security camera coming down from the ceiling - it was an upside down filmo 8 hooked up to a metal pipe with some wires sticking out - must be a pain to reload that thing every few minutes when the customers arent looking.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by d.h.:
    it was an upside down filmo 8 hooked up to a metal pipe with some wires sticking out - must be a pain to reload that thing every few minutes when the customers arent looking.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">*laughing out loud*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •